Mar 3, 2011

Unarticulated Dreams

I was having lunch earlier with one of my most peculiar friends in college. By peculiar, I mean he's not like most Ateneans to the point that very little is expected of him after he graduates. Don't get me wrong, he's very sociable but there's something awkward about him.

I tried to get to know more of him since we won't be seeing each other for a long time. I asked several questions - about his experiences in college, successes, failures, regrets, greatest lessons learned. All those stuff that people don't usually think about.

Then I asked him what's his plan after graduation. "How do you see yourself five to ten years from now?" I was surprised that he wanted to go to public service, and he really means it! If you know this guy, you would expect that he'll try to find a job like every average Joe! But no. He has the guts to get into this messy world of governance/politics and has the drive to fix it.

Of course I flipped when I heard him answer that.

"Has anyone every asked you that question? Or have you ever told this to anyone besides your family?" No.

After my mini interview with him, I realized that maybe a lot more people had these dreams that no one knew. It gives pride to people to actually discuss his passions/visions/dreams to someone - if only anyone bothered to ask and to listen.

How many of your friends know what you really aspire to be? How many of your friends have you asked these questions?

No comments: