Mar 18, 2011

In Defense of Rebecca Black

I have this theory that Rebecca Black’s video was released to deflect the public away from Chris Brown’s controversial pictures, or the other way around ( i don’t know which came first). Or maybe it is a way for some people to cheer the world after Japan’s tragedy. Anyway, if I were Rebecca Black, I’d probably be hanging myself with barbed wires in my bathroom because of the humiliation cause by that Fried Egg Video.


I only watched it once, and I don’t have tumblr so those viral paraphernalia of Rebecca Black and her crew destruction have not overwhelmed me, yet. I saw a lot of my friends over facebook liking pages: "That awkward moment when Rebecca Black doesn't know which seat to take" and "That girl in pink who danced awkwardly in Rebecca Black's friday." there was even an event page dedicated to her.

I hate mainstream so here I am defending her. It’s interesting the amount of time we spend just to show our hatred to a person who is not solely at fault with what she did. Of course we just want to make fun of her video and her friends because we don’t have better things to do. I really think it’s pathetic.

It’s like hating Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus. Instead of just snubbing their songs (because you are obviously not their target audience), how many 16-24 year olds have dedicated at least one minute of their living day just to express their resentment from the most mundane hate reply to even making a video just to bring them down?

Our happiness shouldn’t be at the cost of someone else’s. But it’s life. Haters. Who can’t live without them?

No comments: