May 10, 2011

Never Easy For Those Who Dream

I was browsing through my notebook earlier and I saw this note "Life is never easy for those who dream. Let your triumphs overshadow your failures." Congratulations if you can relate to this may it be from your school work or office jobs. 


Frustrations are the first ones that greeted me after graduating from college. I'm used to it in school but out there, it's like ten times more frustrating especially when you have a goal/dream/ambition and it seems like the universe is conspiring to help you not achieve it. And i'm not speaking for myself alone.


Last Friday, we hanged out in Jet's "bachelor's pad" and they started talking about how difficult it is outside college. Going to work from Quezon city all the way to Pasay for GSIS is a bitch. The pressure from being the number one management trainee can also be a bitch. And not even receiving a phone call for a job interview is the bitchest of them all.


I resigned from my job after two weeks. The pay is really good, there are a lot of traveling opportunities (like once every month for a whole week) and I can't ask more from my colleagues/bosses because they are all very supportive. The best part is, I'm helping children go to school and provide them medicines, at the same time earning money! 


But the thing is, the job requires you to be really focused and dedicated. I leave the house at 6:30am and come home around 8 or 9pm, then we are asked to work for 6 days a week. I have excellent work ethics but I'm trying to build a brand, Manila Kid, and right now, I can't afford to be working for another company the whole time. 


"If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you,” Steve Jobs. It was one of the most difficult decisions I made but I'm glad I did it. Right now, we're busy trying to fix the website we'll be launching at the end of May. My creative director is the one fixing the site while I'm in charge of the content. Things aren't going as smooth as I expected them to be but we're getting to our vision somehow. I just wish it could be sooner than later.


PS. I'm looking for a dumb job now just so my mom can say that I have a "real" job.

No comments: