Sep 18, 2009

Brain Bigger Than A Mosquito's Heart

I wish people had brains bigger than the size of a mosquito's heart. Not driven by uncontrollable passion, nor selfish instinct, nor organized bestiality.

I think educational institutions today are equipping people with the academic and technical skills to devour each other. To refine the needles that suck life blood out and establish their own maggots. To strengthen the wings that will carry them higher, up and away, easily blown by wind. Every step forward is made at the cost of mental and physical pain to someone.


I think we have the Humanities courses to enable us to bring us back to what we ought to be. At the end of the day, we're not engineers, lawyers, doctors nor politicians. We forget that we are still human.

But then one could argue that realizations of this humanness is carried out in our everyday actions through school, work and family life. Yes, but reflection without light can only lead into deeper darkness. We continue to increase the breadth of our experiences but we fail to ground and refine them, through may I suggest, organized reflection - taking people out of their caves, away from the shadows they see as light.

I really hate mosquitos, we all do, to the fact that we want them all dead. I propose to include the institutions that produce them.

So when I'm done being a writer, an ambassador to France and a representative to the United Nations, I'll return to my humble beginnings - the Philippines - and run as a senator to re-systematize our educational curriculum - stronger core subjects on the humanities

(add to that my one year course on pedestrian and driving ethics for senior high school students [which I sent a letter to Congressman Abante and he has yet to reply])

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!