Feb 25, 2012

Post-Adolescent Phase

Haven't blogged since Valentine's Day. After the incident which was mentioned in the last post, everything became so complicated. Sometimes I feel so apologetic then I become obsessed with hatred the next. It's like I wanna punch someone! I think these frequent mood swings happens to adolescent boys, but for christ's sake I'm already 21! Anyway...

Last night, I finished reading Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. It lacked the suspense or drama that I was expecting since it is considered one of the most challenged book of the 20th century, but I was able to relate with the struggles of the 16y/o character very much. Well, maybe because of the phase that I'm currently undergoing.

Here's an excerpt of the book and a bit of an analysis I found online:

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff— I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all.": Holden in chapter 22. Here Holden tells Phoebe the basic theme of the novel. Holden sees himself as a martyr and protector of innocent children. He wants to keep them from falling over the cliff into adulthood.
Another quote that really stuck into my head: "The mark of an immature man, is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, the mark of a mature man, is that he wants to live humbly for one"

Maybe that's one of the reason's why I don't want to grow up. It takes too much responsibility.

I asked Mikey awhile ago if he can recommend me a book to read. Now I have Perks of a Wallflower in my bedside table to keep me company. It's in the same genre as the Catcher in the Rye so expect a more emotionally unstable Neil.

No comments: