Oct 4, 2010

Realizations After My First Job Interview

I was interviewed earlier by the Marketing Regional officer of Procter and Gamble who is based in Singapore. It's a teleconference so it didn't really matter how chic my outfit was. I got late for 10 mins because it rained really hard and my dad doesn't know how to get me in without getting me wet.

Some realizations after the interview:

1) I love interviews because I get to talk about myself and my achievements without feeling that I need to show (false) humility.

2) Being too active in your extra-curricular activities won't hurt you. I got all my answers from my involvement in a Harvard affiliated organization, an international environmental organization and our planning for the 9th National Conference. Those orgs/projects saved my ass during the interview!

3) Ateneo shaped my answers to be very philosophical and social development centered. I tried to answer as "corporate" as possible but social aspects kept on appearing like poverty alleviation and environmental protection, and I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing:|

4) I do not belong in the corporate world. I can see it now: I might get in P&G, get high salary and even a car, but there will be an internal dissonance since what I'm doing is not fit with what I want to do - unless it involves making marketing campaigns that have social relevance.

I told my mom about this "not belonging in the corporate world" and she's supportive about my decision. She thinks that i'm like my dad more in that way because I want field work.

During the interview, I mentioned "the bigger picture" and the interviewer was very interested in that. I told him that I wanted to make a difference in people's lives through my environmental organization and through international relations. It was very vague but I hope he got a sense that I was more than personal development - I hope that fits well with P&G's goals;)

Right now, I still don't know what to do with my life. I've got a lot of things going for me and if the time comes wherein i'll have to make an important decision, I'll just toss a coin and wing it. Because honestly, intuition has always directed me to better opportunities. Who doesn't like risks?


No comments: