Dec 14, 2011

A Shirt Shared By 50 Kids

The only thing productive I did last weekend, aside from a meeting with I'mAB and occasionally stuffing my stomach with calories, is shopping. I think I've seen enough consumerism for the past days that can last me a year. Ugh! I'd like to believe I'm generous towards other people. For myself, I'm very stingy so I can't help but check the price tag of the clothes which I was supposed to buy for myself.

Earlier this morning, I was thinking of our "A Different Christmas Carol", a mobile gift giving project where we'll donate food and toys to less fortunate kids. I was budgeting how much I'll allocate for around 50 children we'll meet on the streets. P1000.00.



Then I remembered the tribal shirt I saw in Topman worth P1,250! I'll be spending more for something which I'll use like only once every two months. With that money, I'll be able to buy decent toys in Divisoria for as much as 50 street kids. An expensive shirt versus an opportunity to make kids more happy, which one is more worthwhile?

But hey, toys? Won't they be needing grocery bags and/or school supplies more? Well, let's not forget that even though they are forced to work at a very young age, they remain to be children. Can you imagine your childhood without your favorite toys? Life is tough, we get it. So we might as well provide these children with keys into a world where they are free to dream and exercise their right to be kids, even for just a fleeting moment.

Would you rather buy something for your self than be the reason why a kid feels extra special this Christmas?

If you and your friends want to help, don't hesitate to contact me. This Christmas, let's make more happy!

No comments: