Feb 15, 2010

40 Days of No Shopping

I can't fathom how anyone can keep his sanity under solitary confinement for 6 years. I've always admired the resilience and endurance of the human heart, although we cannot see it these days because of immediate gratification.


I was having my second to the last shopping splurge before Lent (the last would be this Sunday) and I came across this book - Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. I was able to read its summary and found it interesting so I grabbed it at once.

You can read a summary here.

Anyway, I mentioned Nien Cheng's story because I'm on this noble quest to prove (at least to myself) that my heart is resilient and enduring. And Lent is the perfect time to prove this since we Catholics have to drop something we really really love. In my case - that would be buying stuff.


My sister asked me last night what my Lenten resolution is (probably because it's their homework.) I'm not going for the no meat on Friday's since I'm not a meat lover and giving it up won't be that hard.

Here's a more challenging list:

1) Won't buy jackets, cardigans, vests or long sleeves for the next 40 days starting Wednesday (except this coming Sunday)

2) Won't buy a footwear for the next 40 days starting Wednesday (except this coming Sunday)

3) Won't buy art books, self help books and novels for the next 40 days starting Wednesday (except this coming Sunday)

4) Night out budget won't exceed Php500 except post V-day night out with friends tomorrow.

5) Cut daily allowance by 50% starting next week.

I'm limiting my list to 5 bullets for me to easily remember.


Don't forget to get your ashes on Wednesday, but most of all, remember why your'e doing this - not because it is prescribed by the church or God needs people to suffer, but because it is a test of the human spirit and discipline (at least that's how I see it)

No comments: