Sep 26, 2012

Infinite

After watching the Perks of Being a Wallflower, I had this great urge to ask one of my friends to drive our pick up truck into the tunnel near Glorietta (better if it's the tunnel in Baguio). I'll climb to the back, raise both of my hands up in the air, close my eyes and scream with reckless abandon.

Perks reminded me to live in the now, not just as an observer, but a participant.

"There are people who forget what it's like to be 16 when they turn 17. I know these will all be stories someday. And our pictures will become old photographs. We'll all become somebody's mom or dad.

But right now these moments are not stories. This is happening, I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. 


And in this moment I swear, we are infinite."



I bet we can clearly remember moments when we just hanged out with our high school friends, unmindful of the time, school work, text messages reminding us of responsibilities or the need to check our twitter once in a while.

There was a time when you did not fear that you might miss out something. You were not afraid that the world is leaving you out, because right then, your world is your friends. And by living and breathing each second of that experience, the emptiness created by the need to be connected is filled. Don't you wonder why even if you tweet, text and email 80% of the time, you feel more disconnected? There's so much irony in there.

By living in the now, we become more aware that we are alive. All our senses and neurons are focused on what is happening. We don't feel the need to take pictures of our best memories because we really lived in that moment. Neither do we feel the need to take alcohol or drugs to intensify a feeling that is genuine. The emotions build up and you feel like you can climb every mountain, be who you want to be, do what you thought was impossible, act like there's no tomorrow... and all of a sudden, without reason or fear to hold you back, you feel infinite.

When was the last time you felt infinite?

No comments: