Aug 10, 2011

Strengths Finder 2.0

Few weeks ago, a friend of mine was so thrilled to share with us this "sobrang solid" book that he read about self mastery. Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath isn't your usual book where they give you a general guideline on self improvement like the Covey's or Maxwell's. Attached at the back of the book is a unique code that will allow you to take an assessment which will help you discover your 5 key strengths among 34 most common talents.

It is an upgraded version because even though (for example) you and your friend got 'Achiever', the assessment will be different based the intensity of your inclination, and on the relationship of that strength with your other strengths. In fact, there are more than 5,000 personalized insights that the system will choose from. This certifies that this project is thoroughly researched and your money is definitely worth every peso!


I got my copy for only P719 because I guess almost every bookstore has their products on at least 20% off this time of the year. Original price in Powerplant Fullybooked is P999, but I used to see P899 copies in other bookstores. Yeah, the price may sound like a bargain for a book and a practical assessment test, but the challenge comes with looking for a copy.

I have to warn you, it's out of stock in all bookstores in Shangri-la, Mega Mall and Robinsons Galleria. When I bought it, I had to go to Greenbelt 1 National Bookstore first, then Greenbelt 5 Fullybooked, Greenbelt 3 Powerbooks, Glorietta 3 Powerbooks before I ended up in Glorietta 5 National Bookstore where they only had one copy remaining! It's like looking for an ancient artifact!

From a 19-page result (!), I'd like to share with you guys my Top 5 Strengths from the outcome of the assessment:

1) COMMUNICATION - I wasn't surprised with this outcome, not that I used to be VP for Communications in our org. Haha! It's more than my love for writing and conversing with other people. I always feel the need to bring dry ideas to life to make them exciting and vivid for those people who have short attention span. "Your word pictures pique their interests, sharpen their world and inspire them to act"

2) MAXIMIZER - this may be the strength that allowed me to conceptualize Manila Kid. We wanted to highlight the talents of the youth today in our online magazine so that others who share the same interest will be inspired! I can sense the strength of people and feels that something can always be done to maximize them. I never really focused on my weaknesses and try to improve them. I enhance what I already have.

3) STRATEGIC - I guess I really hate complex situations that's why I try to find the patterns in scenarios and the best route or alternative for efficiency. This comes into play when competition in business or projects arise. I'm usually the one who comes up with an idea on how to change the course of the game in favor of us. Even during the end of my term as VP, I was helping one of the incoming officers on how to politically strategize so that there will be balance of influences in the org, if you know what I mean.

4) FUTURISTIC - the future always fascinated me because of the possibilities and the impact we can have on it. I'm a visionary and thinking of what is yet to come energizes me and somehow provides hope that something can always be done. I think this strength goes in perfectly with the next strength on the list.

5) POSITIVITY - those who know me may be skeptical on this one. But generally, I'm a positive person - very generous on giving praises and support, and always on the look out for positivty in a situation. I think everyone will agree that we're better off immersing ourselves with the goodness that life can offer instead of concentrating on the problems and deficiencies of the events and people around us. We're all about solutions!

Now I kinda realize that my top 2-5 strengths are very much in perfect harmony with each other.

I usually try to finish at least one book per week. I have to say that this is the most worthwhile book investment I've made for the past few months! Grab your copy now, if you can still find one! Haha!

No comments: