Sep 11, 2010

Yearbook Dedication

"As i shut the door and open a new one to embark on another journey on this so called life, I took a trip back at the familiar memory lane and find myself stuck within its gray alleys.

I was once a student, like any other student in any other school, with the hopes to graduate and the dreams to excel. But then, after I flipped back the pages of my high school days, I found that I was painted in a bigger picture of people existing, not for me, but because of me.

In this four year roller coaster ride, my greatest success would be the discovery of my identity. My quest then was to achieve excellence in all the fields, but then I realized that there are more important things than academics.

I was able to influence people, and that to me is the greatest harvest that I reaped for all my hard work. I am a people person.

I never wanted to be forgotten easily, and through these people I have influenced, my memories in this Alma Mater will be remembered. With this in mind, I will finally be able to break free, and move on to higher places."


-My self-serving and rather cheesy high school yearbook dedication, 2007

Now I am screwed because I need to write a better dedication for my college yearbook.

To sum up my four years in college, new passions have been opened and infused with deeper reflections on why I am doing it - a purpose for my interests has taken root into what most people would call impractical - fashion, culture and the arts. I fell in love with it, and so as to social works I did with UNICEF's Child Protection Program plus celebrating two birthdays with the kids of Tuklasan Orphanage with my cousins. I came to appreciate beauty through nature and now vowed to protect the environment that is being sucked dry and empty by big institutions.

I got involved in international relations through the Ateneo-Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations and through my position as Representative of the Philippines for NextGEN under the Global Ecovillage Network for Oceania and Asia - having Skype meetings with Africans who have a French accent was the most difficult part of it all.

But my main concern is how to stand out among all my batchmates because I'm sure a lot will flood their dedications with their achievements (I can't stress this enough!). I want to make a dedication that can shout and echo with so much conviction that these four years in college was worth every breath, every tear, every sleepless night and every unforgettable memory that I shared with my friends and I shared with God.

No comments: